Sunday, June 7, 2015

Chameleon

It has recently been shoved in my face that I am a chameleon. Things being shoved in your face hurts and chameleons are less than attractive. I have always said that I value people who are "real." I love people that don't bullshit and that don't put on a show just to be accepted by the particular crowd that they are currently around. Well, that's the exact opposite of what I've been doing. In fact, I will happily go out of my way to one up you. You are cynical and make lots of jokes about people? Perfect, I will make jokes about people that are incredibly hurtful and even change my attitude about that person just to "impress" you. You judge Christians? NO WAY, me too! Oh wait, now I am surrounded by people who love and serve Jesus well... I can totally do that too.

I think I learned this a really long time ago growing up as a preacher's kid. I had to fend for myself within the church as well as still keep up with the world. I didn't want to be placed in a box. I believe in a healthy balance. I never want to stop being a part of the church, and I will always value the importance of being a part of the world. Since moving to Portland, I have grown an even bigger appreciation of the beauties of the world. I know that we are meant to enjoy and share His creation. I think that includes the mountains and greenery, as well as man-made bridges and bike lanes, as well as the ultimate creation of human life. Speaking of, have you seen how cute my nephews and niece are?

Displaying IMG_3600.JPG

I share this to challenge myself. I want to be true to myself. I want to be real. I don't want to try to impress others. Really though, conforming isn't attractive. Chameleons are funny looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment