Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Wall.

I have hit a wall. It pisses me off. I guess I'm not very good with rejection. My best friend just called me during her lunch break to check on me. I didn't have to say anything directly and she knew it was not a good day for me.

I don't necessarily look good on paper. I have a little bit of job experience and all my volunteer work is the same. So, I'm basically qualified to make a sandwich and be a volunteer youth leader. Maybe that isn't going to get me very far. I'm intimidated. I hate failure so much that I become afraid of being proactive. However, I just read a message I sent to a friend when I first moved out here. I talked about how excited I was to be able to face the challenge of finding a job all on my own. No connections, purely based on who I am. Sounded dreamy at the time...

I wrote that earlier today. I was on the verge of giving up. The Lord is faithful. About an hour later I got an email regarding setting up an interview for an administrative assistant position. And then about 3 hours after that I got a phone call... I applied to a job through AmeriCorps as soon as I got out here. It is a position working with a local public school and connecting the school to the community. I would be working with the students at an after-school program as well as their families and volunteers within the program. I interviewed for this the week before Thanksgiving and was of course insecure and shaky. I think I officially suck at interviews. HOWEVER, I guess I did well enough! They offered me a position!! It starts January 10th and goes until December 16th. It is just an incredible relief to have this door opened. Especially when I was hitting a wall. I will definitely continue praying about this and making sure it is what I need to be doing, but I do feel a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. :)

2 comments:

  1. Way to go, Lindsay! Congrats! That sounds like a great job for you. Maybe you could teach them how to make sandwiches, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to post a comment last night, but it didn't work, dang it, so here we go:

    First off...Congrats, Freckles! Freakin' awesome to hear.

    Second, even though you're past the pissed-off part, I say, when you need to, GET PISSED OFF. Let it fly, because what you are doing takes mad courage, so from a distance, I give you ultra super baller props. You're out on your own and doing something most people (like myself) dream about, talk about, but never actually DO...so keep doing it.

    Keep writing and I'll keep reading.

    ReplyDelete